Open Hearts, Open Minds, Open Doors.
Sunday Service: 9:00am, 9:00am, 11:15am
(864) 882-2603 / Emergency (864) 888-7072phone

Who We Are and What We Believe


What Methodists Believe

The United Methodist Church is an 11-million-strong global church that opens hearts, opens doors and opens minds through active engagement with our world.
John Wesley and the early Methodists placed primary emphasis on Christian living, on putting faith and love into action. This emphasis on what Wesley referred to as “practical divinity” has continued to be a hallmark of United Methodism today.

We invite you to learn more about our rich theological heritage here

Our Charting Principles

As we navigate our journey together, we should be guided by these principles:

The Bible – As the explanation of our fellowship:
Worship – As the emphasis of our fellowship
Hospitality – As the embrace of our fellowship
Diversity – As the expanse of our fellowship
Spiritual Growth – As the expectation of our fellowship
Service and Participation – As the expression of our fellowship
Personal Faith – As the experience of our fellowship
Missions – As the exhibition of our fellowship

Our Mission Statement

To Celebrate God’s Grace
and to Witness for Jesus Christ by
ministering to the identified needs of our community,
supporting the worldwide ministries of the United Methodist Church, and ministering to our church family.

Our Purpose

Renewing Our Hearts – Renewing the World
Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’
Matthew 22: 37-39

Our Strategies

  • Restructure our ministry teams
  • Enhance the children’s ministry program (ages infants through 6th grade)
  • Discover ministry needs of Millenials (young adults) in our church and community
  • Enhance our system of hospitality
  • Transform Saint Mark members into committed disciples through equipping and training
  • Extend our reach into the broader community through more proactive evangelism
  • To enhance the worship experience of the Saint Mark family

Our Limitations

We recognize that certain actions could impede our ability to achieve God’s purpose and vision for this church. We therefore resolve and state that the Saint Mark UMC shall not: pursue ministry which is contrary to its purpose; fail to seek to be good stewards of its financial and non-financial resources; do anything in opposition to the spirit and intent of the United Methodist Book of Discipline; stray from biblical principles and scriptures; stop discerning God’s vision for Saint Mark UMC.

Our Story

The vision and planning of a small group of seventeen people in the fall of 1874 resulted in the first Methodist congregation in Seneca. The Baptists, Presbyterians, and Episcopalians shared what was referred to as the “Union Church” until the Methodists bought their interest in the building.On October 7, 1901, the original frame building, along with the parsonage, was destroyed by fire. The new sanctuary that was built was dedicated in 1903. In 1924, an educational annex was constructed for Sunday school classrooms, and in 1951, the name of the “Seneca Methodist Church” was changed to “Saint Mark Methodist Church”. As the congregation continued to grow, the parsonage was razed to make room for a new educational building. A lot was bought on the comer of North Poplar and North 3rd Streets, and a parsonage was erected in 1956. In 1958, the church and property at the comer of North Fairplay and North 2nd Streets were sold to Brown’s Funeral Home. The congregation purchased four and one-half acres of land on Quincy Road for the erection of a new church.
The Gothic structure, with Flemish glass windows, seated about 400 people, and was adjoined by a large educational building. The debt-free building was dedicated on June 22, 1960. During the spring of 1967, the church was air-conditioned, and a new parsonage was built on two lots south of the church on Ben Hilda Drive. On April 23, 1968, the Saint Mark Methodist Church changed its name to The Saint Mark United Methodist Church when the Methodist Church united with the Evangelical United Brethren to become the United Methodist Church in America. On April 20, 1975, the Newry United Methodist Church merged with the Saint Mark congregation. A new wing that included a new kitchen, church offices, a parlor, a conference room, a library, a music room and four classrooms was consecrated in December 1986. The membership continued to grow rapidly, and stained glass windows in the sanctuary were installed in 1991-92.The Saint Mark Center, which added an atrium, classrooms, family life center, an enlarged kitchen and serving area, elevator access, additional restrooms, a youth lounge and a covered drive-through for inclement weather, was consecrated on October 6, 1996.
A Child Development Center (CDC), providing high quality childcare, opened its doors on June 2, 1997. In late 2007, ground was broken for a new Annex including a Youth Lounge, Commons Room, and modified Music Suite. After Easter Sunday in March, 2008, the Sanctuary was closed for renovation and construction of a new Narthex and front entrance including a new steeple. On Sunday, September 21, 2008, Bishop Mary Virginia Taylor came to Saint Mark UMC for the Celebration Service and Consecration of the new Annex followed by a reception and Consecration of the new Narthex, remodeled Sanctuary and Music Suite at the Traditional Service.
1874 – Founding of the “Union Church” 1901 – Building destroyed by fire
1903 – Construction of new sanctuary 1924 – New educational annex
1951 – Name changed from Seneca Methodist Episcopal to Saint Mark Methodist 1956 – New parsonage
1958 – Purchase of property at present site on Quincy Road
1960 – Dedication of debt-free building
1967 – Construction of present parsonage
1968 – Name “United” added to Saint Mark United Methodist Church
1975 – Merging of Newry United Methodist and Saint Mark United Methodist churches
1986 – New kitchen, conference room, classrooms, and music suite
1995 – Construction of atrium and gymnasium
1997 – Opening of Saint Mark Child Development Center
2008 – Construction of a new Annex, Narthex, and entrance plus renovation of the Sanctuary and Music Suite.